Monday, September 3, 2012

Discussion questions on Maria by Mary Wollstonecraft


Discussion question 1 (Maria by Mary Wollstonecraft)
Jemima is a very prominent character in the middle of the book.  She takes center stage as Maria and Darnford listen to her retell her life’s hardships.  I thought the memoir was lengthy as I was expecting to hear of Maria and Darnford’s relationship when in fact the story did not focus on their interactions but of friendship and hardship of all of them.  Jemima told of poverty, uncaring parents, run away, abuse and heartbreak which paralleled Marias story.  It was like a bond between two like women as they related through the darkest times.  A person can merely sympathize with someone who has been raped but a woman who has been abused looses part of herself.  Her inner being is changed and to be able to hear about another person who has experienced that deep pain as well brings forth a spiritual connection.  It is like Maria had liked Jemima but after her story she knew that their friendship moved to another level.  This relationship was similar to the one Maria had with Darnford.  She had a curiosity about him and even liked their brief conversations but it wasn’t until he told her of his darkened past that she truly felt the love enter her soul.  The story is about a friendship between Jemima, Maria and Darnford.  Jemima is definitely a character that enhances the story with parallel life similar to that of Maria.

Discussion question 2
Once again I see women being in love with being in love.  I have even noticed that students say they are bi-sexual in order to open up the field of possible lovers.  Many girls get knocked down by men that hurt them, yet they stand back up and say “I know the next one will different” or “men don’t treat me right so then women must be the answer”.  I think they look for the love they see in movies with all the romance, sex, and adventure whereas real love it holding hands, reading together, and growing old with your partner.  One of my friends was constantly being physically and mentally abused by her boyfriend.  She would get the courage to break up with him only to find another boyfriend that treated her worse.  She would ask me why I didn’t ever have a man beat up on me and I just said “because I don’t allow that type of person to come into my life”.  I would tell her that I am not afraid to be alone.  I am secure in who I am as a person and the morals in my life have to match the one I am going to be with.  With all this said, I think Maria is the type of character I have listed above as some of the teenagers with the same “desperate” love.  Like my friend, they look for love even if it is an abuse love.  Darnford is a player and Maria was just a passing play toy for him.  Maria idolized him as she wanted so much for “this man” to be the one.  In the end, he was similar to her husband that jailed her in the first place but only more spiteful in that he showed her love and left her with despair.

No comments:

Post a Comment